12 Facts about London that might surprise you
Thousands of students every year choose London when they are looking for a place to study English. There are so many reasons why London has become a city of choice. It really does have something to offer everyone. Every country has history and traditions and Britain has many. Stepping onto British soil is like opening a storybook, so it is one of the most sought-after destinations for those who want to learn English abroad. Learn a few facts about London, the capital of England, one of the most vibrant and historic cities on the planet.
Did you know these facts about London?
- Worldwide, Windsor Castle is the largest and oldest palace still in use by a royal family.
- Westminster Abbey is the site of all British coronations since 1066.
- The London Underground is the oldest in the world, created in 1863.
- On the London Underground, there is a line, Docklands Light Rail, where trains are electronically controlled, without a driver.
- Madame Tussauds wax museum has housed more than 20 different statues of the Queen.
- Big Ben is not a clock, it’s a 13-ton bell that sits inside the tower and behind the clock.
- The 32 London Eye booths represent the 32 London districts
- Today the River Thames is one of the cleanest and most well-tended urban rivers in the world.
- London Bridge was the first bridge in London, with its first version appearing in Roman times, almost 2,000 years ago.
- In London, there are over 17,000 shows a year in over 300 different locations.
- Among the 10 most famous museums and galleries in the world, 3 are in London.
- There are 395 libraries and 900 bookstores in London.
London has also 4 UNESCO-listed monuments: The Tower of London, The Maritime Museum in Greenwich, Westminster Palace including Westminster Abbey and Saint Margaret’s Church and the Royal Botanic Gardens.
If you are looking for an amazing place to study English in one of the most incredible cities in the world then explore everything on offer at Delfin London. This school is located in the city centre of London, on Bloomsbury Square, only 5 minutes walk from the British Museum.
When looking for the perfect place to study in the UK, then the award-winning city of Edinburgh couldn’t be a better choice. This fabulous city in Scotland has received numerous ……
MTS (Mobile Testing Solutions Ltd) is now launching a General English online school allowing students from anywhere in the world the ability to learn English. These courses are starting in October ……
If you plan to learn English abroad, accommodation can be a hard choice. Why choose a homestay? Staying with a host family can offer the most unique experience, for students ……