10 facts about Australia that may surprise you
As one of the preferred destinations for those who wish to learn English, Australia has everything to offer. Ask the question of what Australia is known for to Aussies and foreigners and you’ll get answers like kangaroos, koalas and Kylie, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, and Bondi Beach. Australia is so much more than this. Found in the continent of Oceania, with an excellent quality of life and a rich culture there is so much to discover and learn about this amazing country.
Let’s explore and find out a few facts and curiosities about Australia:
- Melbourne has been voted the best city in the world to live in;
- In Australia, pedestrians can be fined for crossing the street with red light;
- Australia has 6 of the world’s 10 most poisonous snakes;
- Oceania is an isolated continent meaning that some animals only exist natively in Australia: the kangaroo, the koala, the Tasmanian devil, the platypus, the echidna and the black swan;
- Kangaroo meat is widely available in supermarkets and butchers;
- The wonderful climate allows Australians to enjoy barbecues all year round with almost all parks and beaches having public grills that can be used by anyone without reservation;
- The size of Australia from end to end is equal to the distance between London and Moscow;
- More than 25% of the Australian population was born in another country;
- Under Australian law, it is prohibited to sell alcoholic beverages in supermarkets and theses are only sold in Bottle Shops;
- Ugg boots or as the locals call them ‘very ugly boots’ are an Australian design where a sheepskin has been turned inside out and made into a boot.
If you want to have real Aussie experience and discover more facts about Australia, check out everything that ILSC schools have to offer. You can choose from 3 amazing locations: Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Langports offer the highest quality language programmes with engaging activities in 3 of the most amazing locations in Australia. Whether you are looking for a vibrant city atmosphere or a ……
Brisbane is the bustling capital of Australia’s Sunshine State, Queensland. For international students looking for an affordable, friendly and safe place to study, this is the perfect city. To add ……
Do you want to study in Australia, in one of the most ‘liveable’ cities in the world? We have a great news for you! ILSC Education Group will be opening ……